Download A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard by Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Nathaniel DesRosiers, Shira L. PDF
By Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Nathaniel DesRosiers, Shira L. Lander, Jacqueline Pastis, Daniel Ullucci
Have a good time a trailblazer within the components of ladies and faith, Jews and Judaism, and earliest Christianity within the historical Mediterranean
Ross Kraemer is Professor Emerita within the division of non secular reviews at Brown college. This quantity of essays, conceived and produced by way of scholars, colleagues, and acquaintances bears witness to the breadth of her personal scholarly pursuits. participants comprise Theodore A. Bergren, Debra Bucher, Lynn Cohick, Mary Rose D’Angelo, Nathaniel P. DesRosiers, Robert Doran, Jennifer Eyl, Paula Fredriksen, John G. Gager, Maxine Grossman, Kim Haines-Eitzen, Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Jordan Kraemer, Robert A. Kraft, Shira L. Lander, Amy-Jill Levine, Susan Marks, E. Ann subject, Renee Levine Melammed, Susan Niditch, Elaine Pagels, Adele Reinhartz, Jordan Rosenblum, Sarah Schwarz, Karen B. Stern, Stanley ok. Stowers, Daniel Ullucci, Arthur Urbano, Heidi Wendt, and Benjamin G. Wright.
- Articles that learn either old and sleek texts in cross-cultural and trans-historical perspective
- Twenty-eight unique essays on historical Judaism, Christianity, and girls within the Greco-Roman world
Read Online or Download A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer PDF
Similar ancient civilizations books
The opposite experiences are exact. i purchased the paperback half-price and i am mildly happy. The writing is common, and it does supply a good assessment of army historical past; yet this scope is way too huge and the maps are terrible. they seem like they have been drawn utilizing a 1980's notebook. I merely wish the paperback has abbreviated maps and images because of formatting ameliorations, differently the folks who paid $125 for the hardcover might be furious.
Even if the bankruptcy issues stick to the present version of background of arithmetic textual content books (compare the desk of contents Victor J. Katz's heritage of arithmetic; particularly similar), the textual content has a energy, intensity, and honesty came upon all too seldom in a textual content ebook mathematical background. this isn't the common text-book on technical heritage that may be brushed aside (as Victor J.
City historical past starts off in historical Mesopotamia. during this quantity Marc Van de Mieroop examines the evolution of the very earliest towns which, for millennia, encouraged the remainder of the traditional international. the writer argues that town decided each point of Mesopotamian civilization, and the political and social constitution, economic system, literature, and humanities of Mesopotamian tradition can't be understood with out acknowledging their city historical past.
Within the publication titled delivery of the nation, readers examine what researchers these days take into consideration the increase and stabilization of the oldest statehood within the unique civilization centres of the outdated international - Egypt, Mesopotamia, India and China. the coed takes them via crucial monetary, political and non secular adjustments triggered in these societies through the increase and stabilization of the 1st states.
- Lost Discoveries: The Ancient Roots of Modern Science -- from the Babylonians to the Maya
- Sin and Sanction in Israel and Mesapotamia: A Comparative Study
- The chronicle of Theophanes: Anni mundi 6095-6305 (A.D. 602-813) (The Middle Ages)
- Indo-European /a
Extra info for A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer
13. Inscriptional material on Jews as ephebes, town counselors, and officers in gentile armies is assembled in Margaret Williams, The Jews among the Greeks and Romans: A Diasporan Sourcebook (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1998) 107–31. Two recent discussions of Hellenistic Jewish acculturation may be found in John M. G. ) (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1996) and in Erich S. Gruen, Diaspora: Jews amidst Greeks and Romans (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2002). Perhaps these Jews, like Tertullian, were prepared to draw a distinction between being present at (private, domestic) sacrifices and actively participating in them (De Idol.
9. Peppard, Son of God, 60–67, on empire as family. 10. Tertullian fulminates against the gods’ omnipresence particularly in De Spectaculis and in De Idololatria, in the latter treatise specifying also private family festivities (16), the insignia of civic office (18), military standards (19), education (10), oaths, contracts, and vernacular expressions (20–23). Mishnah Avod. Zar. 1:3 names the Kalends (a winter festival eight days after the solstice), the Saturnalia (eight days before the winter solstice), and the kratasis (days celebrating imperial accession to office) as well as imperial birth days and death days as “the festivals of the gentiles”; see esp.
R. McL. , Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1994), 363. 9. R. A. Lipsius and M. , Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1959), 264. ” The apparatus in Lipsius, however, shows that this reading is based on the three Latin manuscripts c, d, m, and the Syriac version. Unfortunately the Greek manuscript from Sinai and the Coptic version both have lacunae at this point. In six Greek manuscripts, however, from each of the three text families recognized by Lipsius, σε (= you) is read. Lipsius gives no reason for his preference for the Latin and Syriac manuscripts.